Angel wiv Attitude

Monday, April 11, 2005

Chucking a Sickie

Today I'm not well (awwwww) and neither is my beautiful 10 year old (awwwww).

I have been struggling all last week with a sore throat and really bad headaches and going to work only to sit down when I get home, after dinner, exhausted and fall into a deep druggie sleep (whatever that is).

When I work I am overwhelmed with guilt at the thought of "chucking a sickie" and just thinking about calling in to work to say that I'm not coming in gave me several bouts of trips to the toilet.

But when my daughter comes in with rosy cheeks, can hardly breathe and swollen red lips its like "thats it" I ring my employer and advise I won't be coming in for the day.

What is it that if we are sick - we feel guilty about not going to work but when our kids are sick - it justifies having a day off???

__________________________________________________________

JJ & I went to the docs today and we both have tonsilitis - doc gave me a medical certificate for 4 days off. There is nothing worse than going to the docs and they tell you that it is viral and there is nothing I can do - you will just have to let it run its course. Today - antibiotics and 4 days yipeeeee (oh my throat my throat)...

___________________________________________________________

When the sickie is the parent's only option.

Your child is ill but there's no one to stay home. What do you do?No one likes covering for a colleague who pulls a sickie, especially if you know they're not really crook.

But it's almost always been an almost unspoken gripe, muttered under the breath.

These tensions have been simmering for years but they boiled over this week, thanks to a provocative article by The Daily Telegraph's Anita Quigley on Thursday.

She wrote: "Nowadays...being married or having children seems to automatically mean you get to have their sick days as well as your own......continue reading

4 Comments:

  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger John said…

    Great post Jeannie, sorry you and JJ have Tonsilitis, our prayers are with you, get well soon!
    GBYAY

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear you are being sick...totally agree with you. I hate taking days off because then if the boss is away...or the boss was sick so lets all have sick days...paranoid and dumb I know!

    Anyhoo - hope you and JJ feel better soon and while you are lying there in bed doing nothing :) maybe you can do some homework!

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry to hear you are being sick...totally agree with you. I hate taking days off because then if the boss is away...or the boss was sick so lets all have sick days...paranoid and dumb I know!

    Anyhoo - hope you and JJ feel better soon and while you are lying there in bed doing nothing :) maybe you can do some homework!

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Yes we are feeling better thank you and homework....will lie down till the feeling goes away...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home