Angel wiv Attitude

Friday, August 19, 2005

Daffodil Day


What is Daffodil Day?

Daffodil Day is the largest merchandise based national fundraising event of its kind for cancer research, education and patient support in the Southern Hemisphere.

It is a day to support those touched by cancer and to focus on hope for a cancer-free future.

At the beginning of last century, people with cancer faced almost certain death. Now, thanks to continuing improvement in research and patient care, more than half of them will be successfully treated. This progress is celebrated on Daffodil Day.

Why was the Daffodil chosen?

The daffodil was chosen as the symbol of hope for all touched by cancer because of its reputation as a hardy annual flower, pushing its way through the frozen earth after a long winter to herald the return of Spring, new life, vitality and growth.......continue reading
___________________________________________________________
A friend of mine "GUY" has been undergoing Cancer Treatment for the last two years and I would like to dedicate this poem to him - I also thank God for his continued healing...

The Daffodils

by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.
The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A Poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:
For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils
.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:06 PM, Blogger John said…

    A great post Jeannie, and a great poem, all make a great cause!

    GBYAY

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Hi Scotwise - great to have you visiting my site again.

    Hi Caro - I haven't been blogging for a while - only to find aliens have attacked my blog. What the...anyhoo thanks for the kind words

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent profile of the cause Jeannie - our thoughts are with Guy also.

    Love
    Meg.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Hey thanks Meg - he needs all the prayers and thoughts he can get - one hellava strong guy though.

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger Nettie said…

    I've always loved that poem, how appropriate.

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Thanks Nettie - I think its beautiful too..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home