Angel wiv Attitude

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Back to Work

Its really tough after having 4 wonderful lazy (not quite lazy) but 4 wonderful days off.

Only to have to go back to the office and deal with file after file of complaints and investigations. I love the view from my office window, I can see the all the high rise buildings along Surfers Paradise and beyond that is the beach - miles of blue ocean and sand.

Its the sunny days that get me - stuck at a desk when you can be outside enjoying the fresh air and getting down to the beach where the sand is warm and the water is cool - sometimes it is pure torture looking out that window.

On Tuesday management launched the "Rebranding" of our company and were given a complimentary mouse pad, mug and pen which showed the "new logo".

I love where I work and what I do but sometimes I feel that its a lot of "exec" people running around in circles trying to make themselves look really important. They also spend a lot of money on what I think is "wastage". There is nothing wrong with our current logo but apparantly the new logo is going to bring in more business.

The bulk of our business comes in from Finance Brokers who bring deal in after deal. The brokers are mostly concerned with how much commission they get paid rather than on our corporate image.

I don't have a problem with change - I'm all for it, however I feel that the money being spent is "wasted". What I would like to see with this money is to raise the staff wages, give better training to our Brokers on all our products and give the place a coat of paint and new carpet.

Now "management" have to destroy thousands of dollars of "outdated" stationary to fit in with the new look. The website will have to be redesigned, all our logos on walls, carpets, brochures, marketing material will now have to be thrown away - to me this is waste.

Another example of "waste" is management putting on drinks and nibblies at 5pm Tues night - giving staff a couple of hours notice. They organised the catering for 50 people - the last of the "rebranding" sessions finished at 5.40pm and by that time most of the staff had left and gone home. What did they do with the nibblies that hardly got eaten - in the bin....

There is nothing that frustrates me more, than money being thrown down the drain.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:38 AM, Blogger John said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger John said…

    I left a comment but it doesn't show up!
    GBYAY

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post Jeannie! I sometimes get concerned about waste, but there is good and bad waste!

    Good waste, is when something has been well thought out and planned and all the old stuff has to go, in the case of your company, in order to move on and strive to do better for everyone involved!

    Bad waste, is when I see Terri Schiavo life cut short because of a complicated, stubborn and outmoded legal system that allows a lovely young woman to die prematurely.

    I think that the logo is brilliant and will show clients that it means a forward looking company, pointing the way and eager to serve them in the modern world!!
    GBYAY

     
  • At 10:42 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Good point, there has been much dicussion today between the staff stating that the logo is way too simple - or offensive which may look like a gun.

    I don't see a gun but I like what you said about a forward looking company pointing the way...

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Organisations can be very passionate about their marketing strategy. Within the financial services sector I have noticed that the plans seem to be shrouded in secrecy even more than usual.

    I always find it interesting to see what people perceive as value from their marketing plans. There's a thought-provking article over at

    http://larknews.com/march_2005/secondary.php?page=5

    that address why a church paid USD$50,000 for a marketing consultant to think up a name/create an image for their singles groups.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Thanks for your observations meg - i will get round to reading that article soon.

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
    They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
    gardening with cisco

     

Post a Comment

<< Home