Angel wiv Attitude

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Netball Madness

The girls play for the Helensvale Netball Club where they have over 200 girls participating each Saturday at Mudgeeraba. The season started last week but this week they have whats called a "March Past" The club asked the girls to PLEASE ARRIVE AT 10AM. March past will be starting at 10.30am. The best looking and most enthusiastic club wins, so get your team busy on banners, flags, face paint or whatever you like, in the Helensvale club colours.

Needless to say with such a large club (the smallest club consisting of 7 players) we won the "March Past". I mean what kind of an event is a "March Past". It entailed my girls spraying their hair with blue hairspray waving their streamers and marching past all the parents only to sit down and listen to the organisers of the competition go "blah blah blah and have fun and enjoy yourselves in the new season...

I was there from 10am and we never left til 1.30pm - the whole time thinking I've got housework to do, cooking for guests coming tomorrow, grocery shopping and the list goes on.. Meanwhile I had to listen to the "blah blah blah" watch CB's organised coach giving everyone a turn and a rest and making sure that all the girls would have a turn at playing all the different positions. It was worth it when I watched CB score her first goal, she has come a long way from last season hugging her opponents, lifting up her friends skirts and looking anywhere else but the ball. Afterwards she said "when I scored the goal I felt like I just wanted to explode".

Then when that game was finished with CB's team winning 2-1 I saunter over to JJ's game. I had sat thru "blah blah blah" got soaked with a summer shower, listened to parents whinge complain and gripe and had to sit on the grass because as usual we left in a hurry, no chairs no food and I only got water for CB and JJ. I sat down on the sidelines of the ashphalt court and got sunburnt from the reflection of the tar on my face. I then had to watch JJ's disorganised coach (who am I to talk) a man of course - with screaming girls go "I wanna be centre or I wanna be Goal Attack". I felt like standing up and yelling "give me the bibs - you go here and you go there" and deal with it..instead the screaming continued until "thank the lord in heaven above" the signal sounded for the start of the first quarter.

My troubles forgotten as I watched JJ with a proud heart. She has definitely improved in her fitness from last year - running from one side of the court to the other - throwing and catching well and her footwork was fantastic (in netball you can't step). Her team rewarded with lollipops for winning 5-4 we left parched and extremely sunburnt (who thought of bringing suncream? - its a winter sport).

1 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger John said…

    It's worth it in the end Jeannie, its all about creating great memories and you have the blog to remind you! Go the girls!! Yeah!! :)
    GBYAY

     

Post a Comment

<< Home