Angel wiv Attitude

Friday, May 06, 2005

Marriage - a Testimony to the Unbeliever

While Mal has been away in Sydney at a Pastors conference this week I have had lots of time to think...think...think - I usually think about chocolate but tonight I have been thinking about Marriage - our marriage and the testimony that it is to Unbelievers.

Mal and I have been married for almost 13 years now and are going from strength to strength..

When I meet people for the first time their reaction to me when they find out that I've been married for this amount of time is amazing - the next reaction I get is that I have a 10 year old and 7 year old (people think I only look 23 - that is a compliment) however people are amazed these days that someone as young as myself can be married for that amount of time and still love each other deeply.

There are so many people who have been hurt through marriages whether it be their fault, their partners or a mix of the two. Today marriage only has a survival rate of 1 out of every 2. These are shocking statistics. People now live together rather than marry - their belief in marriage has dissappated - whats the point??

The only thing that has kept Mal & I together, because our personalities are so different and so extreme (they say opposites attract) is Jesus Christ and our deep love for each other. He is the head of our home and always will be. Not only that, but our committment to each other and the ability to work through each situation as they arise.

Unbelievers look at Christians and see how they behave - they make a judgement on whether we are true followers of Christ or whether we are fake and hypocritical. They know the difference. I want people to see our marriage as something more than just a concept, but rather seeing through it and finding what it is that binds us together.

There a few things that I see that is important to living out this testimony and some values that God is still teaching me, and these are:

be positive about each other in front of others
pray together
learn to laugh together
enjoy each other's company
find common interests
talk to each other
allow the grace of God to work on our imperfections
encourage each other
do not hold a grudge
keep intimate details private
forgive each other
learn to cry with each other

The list could go on forever but these are just some examples of living a marriage that honours God, honours our family and is a testimony to those that are searching for love.

We had, 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8 read out on the day we got married and not only do we believe in it but with Gods help, we try to live it out

"Love is very patient and kind, never jealous or envious, never boastful or proud,

never haughty or selfish or rude. Love does not demand its own way. It is not irritable or touchy. It does not hold grudges and will hardly even notice when others do wrong.

It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever truth wins out.

If you love someone you will be loyal to them no matter what the cost. You will always believe in them, and always stand your ground in defending them.

Love never fails" (The Living Bible)

Is your marriage a Testimony to Unbelievers - can they see Christs love through both of you?

6 Comments:

  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger Callmeteem said…

    Thanks for the post.
    I identify because my wife and I are very different. Everybody who knows us, knows how different we are. People who did not know us have spoken prophetically about how our strong marriage is a miracle because we are so different.
    Our differences did present challenges, but after 11 years of marriage we, without question, love each other more today than on our wedding.
    God is behind that and God has used our differences to make us stronger together than apart.
    Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 2:02 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    May God continue to bless you in your marriage Jeannie.May it be a witness to many around the globe!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    I agree with you there Tim, our love for each other is much stronger today than on our wedding day, we may have differences but it is Christ that is the common bond. Thanks for your encouragement.

    Thanks for your kind words Karen, they are much appreciated.

    Trish, we do have a lot in common thats why I love reading your posts (you need more) larf larf. what would we do without vanity..you might have had a rough 15 years but you know what - with Gods love and grace your next 15 years will be filled with love, blessings and joy

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger John said…

    Great post! Jeannie, if I was reading this as an unbeliever I would love to have a marriage like yours, even though it comes with a price!

    But, as I am reading this as your Dad, I am so thankful to the Lord for your marriage, for you, Mal and my two God-given beautiful grandaughters!

    Your Mother and I pray for you at least three times a day (as we do with the rest of our family and Church family,) that you will continue to be blessed! Praise the Lord! What an awesome God we serve!

    GBYAY

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    "We" should write a book??? I've been telling you for years...

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    Thanks Scotty - appreciate your love, prayers and support

     

Post a Comment

<< Home